With an average of over three feet of snow each year in the Metro-Detroit area, winterizing your home is incredibly important. Following are some helpful tips for avoiding months of misery.
- Caulking — Caulk around window and door frames with gaps a quarter inch or less. Hold the gun upward at a forty-five degree angle and work your way from top to bottom of the frame in one smooth stroke. Caulking not only saves energy, it reduces water damage.
- Insulation — Blown-in insulation can shift. Using a rake, move the insulation to make it more consistent throughout. Use flexible insulation with a high R value to fill gaps around the eaves, giving it a snug fit. For fiberglass insulation, check for portions which have fallen from walls. Replace portions that have been compressed, as this reduces the efficiency.
- Roof — When snow melts at the top of your roof where it tends to be warmer, it can run down and turn to ice, damaging shingles. Remove leaves and debris to avoid ice build-up. Check for loose shingles.
- Heating/cooling system — Check your HVAC system annually for winterizing your home. Change filters every month, as dust build-up will seize the motor. Because of its complexity, it may be best to call a professional to check: the gas pressure, the ignition of the furnace, the hoses for leaks, tension on the motor belt, the lubrication of the fan motor and other items for a full examination.
- Fireplace — Close the flue after each use of the fireplace. It is the equivalent of leaving open a window or door. Adding a blower not only adds more heat, it also seals the opening. Visit our blog for more excellent ideas to save energy and create more comfort in your home.
At Aladdin Heating and Cooling, we have served the Metro-Detroit area for more than 50 years. Our philosophy centers around treating your home as if it were our own. In so doing, we honestly give the best advice and workmanship. Contact us today for our current specials!
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about winterizing your home and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock