Tankless water heaters, also called demand water heaters, generate heated water only when it’s needed. This eliminates the need for a tank and the standby heat loss associated with it, conserving energy and saving you money. If you’ve decided that a tankless water heater is right for your Metro-Detroit home, these six tips for top performance will help you get the most from your investment.
- Size the water heater correctly: An undersized unit will not provide you with the hot water you need when performing multiple tasks at once, such as running the dishwasher and taking a shower. An oversized unit will cost more to purchase and operate. A contractor can help you with the sizing process.
- Choose an appropriate fuel type: Electricity, natural gas and propane are options for powering tankless water heaters. Choose the fuel that will cost-effectively heat the water based on local utility rates and the fuel’s efficiency. A knowledgeable contractor can help you decide.
- Seek proper installation: The factors involved in a proper installation vary based on fuel type, code requirements, climate and safety issues. That’s why it’s best to let an experienced HVAC contractor complete the installation for you.
- Schedule periodic maintenance: Tankless water heaters require preventive maintenance, just as heating and cooling equipment does. Plan to schedule tune-ups as frequently as the manufacturer recommends.
- Reduce hot water use: Consume less hot water and you’ll boost water heater performance. Some low-cost solutions include fixing leaks, insulating hot water pipes and installing low-flow faucets and showerheads. You can also simply shorten your showers and wash clothing in warm or cold water.
- Install other hot water-efficient appliances: Energy-efficient dishwashers and clothes washers use less water and put less pressure on your tankless water heater, thus boosting performance.
A tankless water heater may cost more initially, but with a longer life span, less expensive maintenance and lower energy costs, it could certainly pay for itself several times over during its lifetime. For more information, please contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We serve Lake Orion, Troy, Birmingham, Ferndale and other surrounding cities in the Metro-Detroit area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about tankless water heaters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock