If you have an older thermostat currently in your Novi, Farmington Hills, or Southfield-area home, then chances are it’s manual. It requires you to remember to set it according to your daily needs. To really save energy with these models, you’d have to change settings several times per day and most people don’t.
To get maximum savings — and make life much more comfortable and convenient — think about installing a new unit. Programmable thermostats will automatically adjust to different temperatures throughout the day and week, once you set up a program/schedule. To choose the appropriate model for your home, first determine which is compatible with your heating and cooling system:
- One-stage: For homes with a separate furnace and air conditioner.
- Multi-stage or two-stage: Works with heating/cooling systems that offer high- and low-speed settings.
- 24mV: Meant for use with fireplace or forced-air furnace.
- Direct-line voltage: Works for older homes that use either 110 or 240 DC (direct current) power.
- Zoned HVAC: Intended for systems that allow the temperature of different areas (rooms or zones) to be controlled from one central unit.
Then choose from these convenience features and options:
- Scheduling: Some models allow for unique schedules each day, while others have one program for the weekdays and another for the weekend. Another popular option is one program for weekdays and a unique schedule for both Saturday and Sunday.
- Indicators: These are lights that remind you when to change filters or batteries.
- Locking keypad: This prevents children and others from altering your temperature or time schedule.
- Remote control: Set or adjust the unit from wherever you are in the house.
- Battery back-up: Settings are saved so that you won’t have to reprogram after a power outage.
- Vacation setting: You can easily set your home comfort system for maximum energy savings when you go on vacation, and reset to normal scheduled settings at the push of a button when you return.
If you live in the Novi, Farmington Hills, or Southfield-area, then bring your questions about programmable thermostats to the experts at Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’ll help you sort through the options. Visit our website for more HVAC information or just give us a call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!