Don’t throw away your money by wasting energy in your southeast Michigan home when you’re not there. If you’re heading out on vacation, be sure to take care of your home maintenance before you go.
Consider the following tips:
- Turn your thermostat up to 85 degrees or turn off the air conditioning. You can do this manually, but it’s a great idea to have a programmable thermostat. For additional benefits, consider a smart thermostat. One of the most helpful benefits of a smart programmable thermostat for vacationing is remote access, through which you can view and change settings and monitor your HVAC system from a smart device.
- Unplug appliances and electronic devices and chargers that will not be in use while you’re gone. Even when they’re turned off, these devices still use energy anytime they are plugged in. It’s also safer to keep electrical devices unplugged in case of an electrical surge or a rare lightning strike.
- Turn off all the lights in your home. If you wish to keep some lights on for security reasons, conserve energy by using a timer.
- If you’re going to be gone for more than three days, turn your water heater temperature down to 120 degrees or lower. You can also turn off the main water valve in your home to prevent flooding or leaking.
- Close drapes on your windows, especially those that face the sun.
- Consider getting a check of your cooling system to make sure everything is running smoothly before your vacation. It’s one less home maintenance issue to worry about as you plan your trip. For even smoother sailing, think about regular HVAC maintenance, ideally with a check of your cooling system in the spring and your heating system in the fall.
Saving money on your energy bill is a great bonus when you’re already spending money on your vacation.
For more tips on home maintenance, feel free to contact us at Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the Detroit area for more than 65 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about home maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!