It’s just about time to switch from the air conditioner to the furnace. Operating home heating equipment can be expensive and even dangerous without the right heating tips in mind. Use the following information to stay warm, comfortable and safe this winter.
- Get a tune-up: Proper maintenance is essential if you want your furnace to operate at peak efficiency. An HVAC professional can provide the services you need at a price that pays for itself in energy savings. Plus, having your equipment serviced ensures safe operation for better peace of mind.
- Replace the filter at least once this season: The general rule of thumb is to check the air filter once a month and replace it when it looks dirty, waiting no longer than three months between replacements. This means you should plan to change the filter at least once this winter to keep airflow at the ideal level for optimum performance.
- Ensure proper air circulation: Go around your home and make sure none of the return vents are blocked by furniture or rugs. Open all the supply registers as well. This heating tip keeps air flowing the way it should for heightened comfort and energy efficiency.
- Use a programmable thermostat: You can save money without sacrificing comfort thanks to a programmable thermostat. Program setback periods for while you’re away or sleeping that automatically resume a comfortable temperature before you arrive home or wake up.
- Use your fireplace properly and safely: Have the chimney inspected and cleaned every fall. Allow ashes to cool completely before disposing of them. When the fireplace is not in use, close the damper to prevent wasting energy.
- Check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors: Make sure these safety devices are installed on every floor of your home. Test them monthly and change the batteries once a year.
- Run portable heaters safely: Never leave them unattended or running while you sleep. Keep all flammable materials such as bedding and curtains at least three feet from the heating equipment.
For more home heating tips, please contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling, serving Warren, Lake Orion and surrounding areas since 1945.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Warren, Michigan about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Jane0606/Shutterstock”