Here in the Metro-Detroit area, we’ll be feeling the cold sooner than later now that autumn’s here. Is your heating system in good repair and ready to keep the house warm through cold winter days? If you haven’t regularly changed your filter or done upkeep on your unit, it may not function as efficiently as it could. Don’t take the chance of your heating system malfunctioning on you. Now is the time to schedule a tuneup.
While some basic maintenance functions can be accomplished by the homeowner, such as regularly changing the filter, some maintenance needs to be done by an accomplished HVAC professional. By scheduling a tuneup for your heating system, you ensure that your system is thoroughly inspected and any necessary adjustments are made to ensure optimal efficiency. Tasks include:
- Checking your chimney or venting pipe for deterioration. If they do begin to fail, repairing them can be very expensive — especially the chimney. Should this occur, consider purchasing a new HVAC system that doesn’t require the current chimney.
- Checking the furnace heat exchanger for leaks. If it leaks it can mix its gases with house air, making for a toxic environment.
- Examining your ductwork for leakage and repairing where necessary. Duct leaks can cost you approximately 20 percent of the air you pay to heat.
Heat pump tuneup
If your heating system is a heat pump, your yearly professional tuneup should include the following:
- Examine the ducts and seal leaks.
- Measure airflow to see if the flow is adequate.
- Check refrigerant for leaks, and then measure refrigerant charge.
- Examine the electrical terminals and apply non-conductive coating, if necessary.
- Lubricate motors and examine the integrity of the belts.
- Guarantee that the thermostat operates correctly.
- Check the electrical control.
For more information about your heating system, please contact us, Aladdin Heating and Cooling. We’ve been proudly serving the Warren, Troy, Grosse Pointe and the Metro-Detroit area since 1945.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating systems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock