Giving your heat pump a little attention from time to time can really help you out in the long run. When you hire a professional to maintain your heat pump, you:
- Keep it running smoothly. A well-maintained pump can do its job without working extra hard to move obstructions. With its belts nice and tight and its moving parts lubricated, you don’t have to worry about breakdowns or unpleasant noises.
- Save money on your utility bills. A poorly maintained heat pump has to work harder to do its job. Dust, debris, improper thermostat controls and other problems can keep your heat pump working more than it needs to. By having a professional inspect and maintain it regularly, you can save money on your utility bills. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that the difference in energy consumption between a well-maintained pump and a neglected one ranges between 10 and 25 percent.
- Extend the life of your heat pump. Heat pumps aren’t cheap, and you don’t want to have to replace yours more often than necessary. Annual maintenance will extend the life of your heat pump by keeping it clean, lubricated and properly functioning.
What does a professional do to maintain a heat pump? In short, a professional will thoroughly inspect it and fix any potential problems. Specifically, he’ll do all of the following:
- Detect and repair duct leakage
- Inspect electrical components and terminals and apply a non-conductive coating to wires if necessary
- Make sure the electric controls are operating correctly (ensuring that the heat doesn’t come on when the thermostat calls for cooling and vice versa)
- Check ducts, filters and coils for obstructions, dirt and debris
- Measure airflow for efficiency
- Add lubricant to motors and check belts for wear and tear
- Verify that the thermostat is working properly
- Measure refrigerant levels and check for leaks
For more expert advice about heat pumps or other heating and cooling topics, contact usat Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving southeast Michigan since 1945, and we look forward to serving you!
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Preventative Maintenance image via Shutterstock|