Of all the unwelcome contaminants in your Ferndale or Royal Oak home, mold is a particularly nasty invader. Spores can germinate in only 24-48 hours. It can lead to serious property damage and health issues. If you see even a small amount of mold, chances are there’s a much larger system growing behind the scenes (like behind tile, under carpet or inside walls).
Fortunately, you can use your heating and cooling system to help protect against mold growth. Here are five of our favorite tips.
- Keep your HVAC system professionally maintained. Seasonal tune-ups and cleanings not only keep your equipment efficient, they clear out any spores or contaminants that have set up shop in the system.
- Control humidity. Your air conditioner removes heat, and a certain amount of moisture goes along with it. But in some homes that may not be enough. Consider installing a whole-home dehumidifier, which will keep humidity within comfortable levels (from 30-50 percent).
- Set your thermostat correctly. Mold loves moisture, and moisture loves heat. Lowering the temperature on your thermostat will not only keep you cooler, it can create a less welcoming environment for spores. However, lowering it too far can create condensation on surfaces, like windowsills, which can foster spore growth. Find your happy medium.
- Ventilate to exhaust contaminated indoor air. Many HVAC systems include ventilation elements which constantly cycle out pollutants, and pull in fresh, filtered air. This way, spores don’t build up to dangerous concentrations in the house. You can also use spot fans in areas like the bathroom or kitchen to reduce humidity, but be sure they ventilate to the outdoors and not to the attic.
- Keep your filter fresh and clean. The more spores it can capture, the fewer can be distributed through your indoor air. Make sure to check it every month, so it doesn’t get too clogged and lose efficiency.
For more ways to control mold and improve indoor air quality, contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’re proud to serve homeowners in Ferndale and Royal Oak, and we take your comfort seriously.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about mold and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!