Water stains on the ceiling and walls? Mold and mildew problems? Poor indoor air quality? All these are signs you may have a moisture problem. High indoor humidity is a common issue around Lake Orion, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, and other areas with high water tables but there are ways you can control moisture in your home. One of the most effective long term solutions is to get a dehumidifier.
The air holds different quantities of water when it’s at different temperatures. Warmer air holds more humidity, which is why hot summers can be so uncomfortable in Southeast Michigan. An air conditioner removes a limited portion of this humidity, but only as a by-product of the cooling process. To really control moisture in your home, you need a system specifically designed for dehumidification.
A whole-house dehumidifier works in conjunction with your HVAC system and ductwork. As indoor air passes through, moisture is collected into a tub and piped out of the house. When your air conditioner is running, a dehumidifier will work in conjunction with it, creating a cohesive system that will control moisture in your home without allowing things to get too dry. When the A/C is off, the dehumidifier runs on its own.
Taking steps to control moisture in your home can:
- Reduce the presence of dust mites, which thrive in humid conditions and can contribute to allergies and respiratory problems.
- Put a stop to feelings of mugginess or stuffiness, even in those rooms that always seem to be too humid.
- Make you feel cooler by removing heavy moisture from the air. Since you’ll be more comfortable, you may not have to keep the thermostat adjusted so low.
- Prevent mold growth in walls and on equipment. If you see even a little mold growing in your home, it’s a good bet there’s a whole system of mold growing right there behind the scenes.
- Help eliminate musty or foul odors resulting from mildew.
If you live in Lake Orion, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Point, or Southeast Michigan in general and have questions about how to control moisture in your home, call Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving your community since 1945, and we’ll be happy to serve you!
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about dehumidifiers and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!