24/7 Emergency Service

The Importance of Carbon Monoxide DetectionEarly carbon monoxide detection in the home is critical. Unconsciousness and death can occur rapidly when concentrations of this hazardous gas reach 150 parts per million in indoor air, a level only slightly higher than the amount that produces detectable symptoms in many people. That’s why carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are now required by building codes in most localities.

Today’s new “smarter” carbon monoxide detection technology provides accurate early warning of dangerous CO levels without annoying false alarms. Install a detector and remember to press the “Test” button and replace the batteries (if required) twice a year.

Carbon monoxide gas is a byproduct of common household combustion sources like a gas-fired furnace, water heater or stove. It may also enter the house from the exhaust of a car idling in the garage or a lawnmower outside. Here’s why carbon monoxide detection must be a household safety priority:

The Silent Killer

CO has neither taste nor odor, so it may affect the home without recognizable danger signs. The gas is only slightly lighter than air, therefore it tends to accumulate within living spaces rather than clearing naturally.

Symptoms Seem Harmless

Flu-like symptoms or even simple fatigue are some of the first indications of exposure to carbon monoxide gas. CO emitted by a malfunctioning furnace or appliance may quickly concentrate to higher, deadly levels while victims dismiss early physical indicators.

Risk Factors Fluctuate

Some persons, such as infants and the elderly, may respond quicker to lower levels of CO gas and experience a greater risk of death from exposure. Chronic illnesses such as heart or lung disease and blood conditions like anemia also increase susceptibility.

Home Appliances May Be Hazardous

We take for granted the reliability of familiar household devices like heating equipment and stoves. However, to ensure safety, it’s critical to have these appliances inspected annually by a qualified HVAC technician. Every inspection includes tests for trace amounts of CO gas as well as verifying proper combustion and ventilation.

For more information on the importance of reliable carbon monoxide detection in your home, in Troy and Utica contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Warren, Michigan about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about carbon monoxide detectors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Creations/Shutterstock”