There are many helpful tips and tricks that Lake Orion homeowners can use to reduce air conditioning bills, but the easiest one is probably the one which is overlooked most often: maintaining your air filter. You can reduce energy consumption by as much as 15 percent simply by properly maintaining your air filter.
If you really want to keep your home’s air healthy and safe while keeping your energy usage under control, you need to understand minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV). This rating tells you the size of the particles the filter removes from your air.
- MERV 1-4: These filters are designed to protect your system components. They’re affordable, but don’t go a good job of removing smaller particles from the air.
- MERV 5-8: These medium-grade filters have a pleated design which allows them to remove particles down to 3.0 microns in size. To put that in perspective, they catch mold, pollen and a few larger bacteria.
- MERV 9-12: Now we get into the high-quality air filters that remove particles down to 1.0 microns in size. They not only remove the larger particles, but also get smaller contaminants such as bacteria. However, these may not be right for all homes. Depending on your equipment, it is possible that these filters will obstruct airflow too much and cause your system to lose efficiency. Speak with an expert before upgrading to one of these filters.
- MERV 13-16: These are the highest-quality standard filters and can remove particles down to 0.3 micron in size, as well as tobacco smoke and odors. They are great for homes with air quality concerns, but they may decrease efficiency by hindering airflow. Consult with an HVAC professional for these filters as well.
- MERV 17-20: These HEPA filters are hospital-grade and are not ideal for use in residential settings.
To find the perfect air filter for your home and A/C equipment, contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling. With over 50 years of providing service from Dearborn to Utica and everywhere in between, we have the expertise to help Metro-Detroit homeowners save.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air filters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!