Did you know that the air conditioner in your Berkley home is like a big refrigerator? Instead of cooling an insulated box, an A/C cools large spaces. When you have a better understanding of how your air conditioner performs, it is easier to understand the repairs it may need in the future.
How an air conditioner does the job
- Refrigerant: The refrigerant in a cooling system continually changes between a liquid and gas state. These chemicals travel throughout the cooling system’s main components (the compressor, condenser and evaporator) to cool and transfer warm air.
- Compressor: Working as the heart of an air conditioner, the compressor is responsible for circulating the refrigerant between the condenser and the evaporator. The reason this component is called a compressor is because it squeezes the molecules in the refrigerant. Consequently, the molecules increase in energy and temperature before traveling to the condenser.
- Condenser: When the heated refrigerant flows into an air conditioner’s condenser, the chemicals are cooled. This cooling action converts the refrigerant from a gas into a liquid that travels to the evaporator.
- Evaporator: When the refrigerant chemical enters the evaporator, the component absorbs the remaining heat in the chemicals and causes the refrigerant’s pressure to drop. At the same time, the coils within the evaporator remove and absorb the moisture and heat from the home’s indoor air.
- Vent and fan: During the evaporator’s thermal energy process, the A/C’s vent sucks in warm air from outside, and sends the air to the evaporator. The evaporator then cools the warm air, and the fan in the air conditioner blows the air into the home. At this time, the refrigerant chemicals evaporate into a gaseous state once again, so the air conditioning cycle can repeat.
For more expert advice about your air conditioner and other issues related to home comfort, please feel free to contact Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the Metro-Detroit area since 1945.
(specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!