The cooling months in Utica, Rochester and the greater southeast Michigan area are too hot for air conditioner problems. Use these tips for troubleshooting air conditioner problems, and you can get your system back online fast and possibly save a service call.
Uneven air pressure and cooling
Efficient air pressure is important to consistent cooling, energy efficiency and the function of your air conditioner. Here are some common air conditioner problems related to uneven air pressure and cooling, and their potential solutions:
- For uneven air pressure, make sure all air-supply registers are fully open with no obstructions to airflow (furniture and debris, for example).
- Visually inspect your ductwork in all accessible areas. Seal all duct leaks and disconnections with aluminum tape and/or mastic and mesh. Check duct connections at registers, too.
- Uneven cooling may be due to air leaks in your home, such as cracks around doors and windows, and conduction through the ceiling thanks to a lack of attic insulation. Consider an energy evaluation by an HVAC professional. If you have a multi-level home, uneven cooling is practically unavoidable. Consider the benefits of a zoning system.
- If air pressure seems lower than normal, check your air filter. A dirty filter hinders airflow and increases energy consumption.
Troubleshooting air conditioner problems for no power involves the thermostat, as well as electrical components, breakers and connections.
- Make sure the thermostat is in cooling mode, and set the temperature five to eight degrees below actual room temperature.
- Check the circuit breaker. If it is tripped, turn it on. If it trips again, leave it off and call an HVAC pro. Remember, electricity is invisible and potentially deadly.
Have power, but no cooling
A number of issues may cause decreased cooling:
- Check the evaporator coil for ice buildup. If there is ice accumulation, turn off the air conditioner and call your HVAC pro. Ice accumulation is an indicator of more serious problems with refrigerant charge, airflow blockages and worn electrical components.
- Check the outdoor cabinet for obstructions like tall grass and weeds, trash, leaves and anything else that hinders airflow within two feet.
Light maintenance reduces the need for troubleshooting air conditioner problems. However, when professional expertise is required, please contact the pros at Aladdin Heating & Cooling. We serve the Metro-Detroit area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioner problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Aladdin Heating services Novi, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Beverly Hills, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Twp., Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Madison Heights, Clawson, Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit, Utica, Shelby Twp., Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Lake Orion, Oxford, and Clarkston.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock